Carrigeen Castle, Cahir
Map Reference: S047249 (2047, 1249)
Despite the name this is not a castle. It was built as a bridewell in 1812 and enlarged about 1850. It was used as a military officers' residence until 1919 and since 1976 it has been a private dwelling and guest house. It comprises a three-storey SW block with a four-bay ground floor and two-bay ends. A four-stage round stair tower projects from the south corner. A two-story with basement NE block stands at right angles to the SW block. A curtain wall to the north and west form the original exercise yards and there are polygonal towers at the north and SW angles. It is finely constructed of both rubble and cut limestone and exhibits a good display of towers, turrets, crenellations and corbels. Much of the original interior stonework, particularly at the cell doors, has been retained.
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer