St Dominic's Priory, Cashel



Map Reference: S077407 (2077, 1407)



St Dominicís Priory was founded by David OíKelly, a Dominican from Cork who moved from Cloyne to Cashel in 1238. He founded the priory in 1243. It was one of the first Dominican churches to be built in Ireland. It was destroyed by fire but rebuilt by John Cantwell in 1480. He later became archbishop. In 1540 the prior, Edward Brown, surrendered the priory after the Dissolution. Apart from the church there were several other buildings as well as an orchard and gardens. There were also nine cottages, six of which had gardens. In 1543 the priory was granted to Walter Fleming.



The remains consist mainly of a rectangular church with a central tower and a south transept. There are good traceried windows in the east and west walls which replaced earlier lancets, probably after the fire. The south window of the transept is also traceried. This transept seems to have been added in the late 13th century. Corbel stones and other marks on the outside of the north wall may indicated the position of the cloister which has disappeared.



For details of other Dominican Friaries click on the links below

Glanworth, Co Cork Newtownards, Co Down Athenry, Co Galway Kilmallock, Co Limerick Carlingford, Co Louth Burrishoole, Co Mayo Rathfran, Co Mayo Strade, Co Mayo Cloonshanville, Co Roscommon Roscommon, Co Roscommon Tulsk, Co Roscommon Ballindoon, Co Sligo Sligo, Co Sligo Lorrha, Co Tipperary



Return to County Tipprary List
Return to Gazetteer