The Main Guard, Clonmel
Map Reference: S204223 (2204, 1223)
This building was completed in 1674 to house the Palatinate Court of Ormonde. It was probably designed by Sir William Robinson. It is a two-storey five-bay structure with a pediment containing a clock. The building is surmounted by an octagonal cupola.
The front half of the lower storey is an open arcade of five arches carried on round pillars. Although it was built primarily as a court-house the design of the building is so similar to the later Tholsel at Kilkenny and many of the 18th and 19th century market houses that at some time in its history it carried out all of the functions of these buildings. It is probably the oldest arcaded public building in Ireland.
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer