Map Reference: S162695 (2162, 1695)
Cranagh Castle is a circular tower-house attached to a large 18th century mansion. The castle is three storeys high. It has a pointed doorway in the south and to the left of the door a stairway rises within the wall to first floor level. At this level a curved mural passage contains two murder holes. The stairway changes to a spiral leading to the second floor. John Purcell was listed as the proprietor in 1640 but the castle was apparently ruinous in 1654. It was probably originally a taller building and was reduced in height in the 18th century when the large adjoining house was built.
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer