Map Reference: R814861 (1814, 1861)
This castle was owned by John Cantwell in 1640. It may have been built in the 13th or 14th as a hall castle but was converted in the 15th or 16th century to a tower-house. It was originally a two-storey building with a single long room at the upper level. It was later raised to four storeys and partially vaulted over the ground floor. At present the castle has a strong covering of ivy and most of the west wall seems to have disappeared. This gives the building an empty shell-like appearance. Parts of the bawn wall are still visible.
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer