Fethard Town Walls
Map Reference: S206348 (2206, 1348)
The town walls of Fethard are extensive and many sections have been recently restored.
At the W end of a 100m section of the S wall is a small tower known as Fethard Castle. It has an ogee-headed window near the top as well as some square-headed slits.
At the east end of this section is a large tower with a good latrine chute. This is Edmund Castle. Beyond it is a larger tower called Court Castle.
The upper windows were mullioned but are now blocked. There is one chimney stack. The wall extends for several hundred metres to the W of this section. A shorter section to the E has a good defensive slit and incorporates a fine sheila-na-gig.
At the N edge of the town the North Gate spans the roadway.
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer