Holy Trinity Augustinian Priory, Fethard



Map Reference: S211350 (2211, 1350)



Holy Trinity Priory was founded in 1306 on lands granted by Walter Mulcote. He had invited the Augustinians there the previous year but it took more than six months before royal permission was given for the foundation of the priory. It became one of the richest mendicant friaries in Ireland. When Prior William Burden surrendered it in 1540 it consisted of the church and usual buildings, all said to be ruinous. However it also owned 28 tenements in Fethard with 10 acres of land , a mill and a bake-house. There were at least 40 acres of land in other townlands.



The nave of the church and part of the south aisle were refurbished in the 19th century and now serves the local parish.





There are several good carvings inside including masks and tracery. In the south wall is a fine stained glass window designed by Harry Clarke. It depicts Our Lady of Fatima. The north transept of the original church is still ruinous. In the small graveyard to the north of the church there are some good grave slabs with raised lettering.

For details of other Augustinian Friaries click on the links below

Clare Abbey, Co Clare Killone, Co Clare Ballybeg, Buttevant, Co Cork Bridgetown, Co Cork Dungiven, Co Derry Clontuskert, Co Galway Dunmore, Co Galway Ballinskelligs, Co Kerry Callan, Co Kilkenny Kells, Co Kilkenny Adare, Co Limerick Rathkeale, Co Limerick Abbeyderg, Co Longford St Mary‘s, Drogheda, Co Louth Ballintubber, Co Mayo Cong, Co Mayo Errew, Co Mayo Ballyboggan, Co Meath Athassel, Co Tipperary St Mary‘s, Cahir, Co Tipperary



Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer