Holy Cross Cistercian Abbey
Map Reference: S088543 (2088, 1543)
This was originally a Benedictine foundation but was refounded in 1186 by Cistercians from Monasteranenagh in Co Limerick. The church was re-roofed in 1975 and is now used by the local parish.
Substantial portions of the cloister and its surrounding buildings have been restored. The church is a fine example of 15th century architecture with magnificent vaulting over the chancel and at the tower-crossing.
There are many very fine traceried windows.
In the chancel is a richly decorated sedilia with intertwined beasts and royal and noble coats of arms.
In the S transept is a structure like a tomb-chest surmounted by a vaulted cover supported by twisted pillars. It is known as "The Monks' Waking Place" and may have been a shrine to hold the portion of the True Cross for which the abbey was famous. In the area of the tower-crossing there are many masons' marks. Some of these are simply inscribed but others are miniature works of art.
High up on the wall is a very fine carved owl.
For some more photos of Holy Cross Abbey click HERE
For more examples of Cistercian Abbeys click the following links
Corcomroe, Co Clare
Grey Abbey, Co Down
Inch Abbey, Co Down
Abbeyknockmoy, Co Galway
Duiske Abbey, Co Kilkenny
Jerpoint, Co Kilkenny
Monasteranenagh, Co Limerick
Abbeylara, Co Longford
Abbeyshrule, Co Longford
Mellifont, Co Louth
Bective, Co Meath
Boyle, Co Roscommon
Hore Abbey, Co Tipperary
Kilcooly, Co Tipperary
Dunbrody, Co Wexford
Tintern, Co Wexford
Baltinglass, Co Wicklow
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer