Dominican Priory, Lorrha

Map Reference: M916044 (1916, 2044)

This tiny village has remains of three churches, two High Crosses and a motte. The Dominican priory was founded in 1269. The nave and chancel of the church are of equal width giving the appearance of a very long building. The five-light east window is fragmentary and there are good lancet windows in the N and S walls.

There is a fine north doorway and a mutilated west doorway. Outside the Catholic church beside the ruin is a very good bullaun stone.

For details of other Dominican Friaries click on the links below

Glanworth, Co Cork Newtownards, Co Down Athenry, Co Galway Kilmallock, Co Limerick Carlingford, Co Louth Burrishoole, Co Mayo Rathfran, Co Mayo Strade, Co Mayo Cloonshanville, Co Roscommon Roscommon, Co Roscommon Tulsk, Co Roscommon Ballindoon, Co Sligo Sligo, Co Sligo Cashel, Co Tipperary

Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer