Map Reference: R867791 (1867, 1791)
Nenagh Castle was probably built by Theobald Walter at the beginning of the 13th century. It originally had three large circular towers connected by a curtain wall. The remains consist of one of the circular towers and a portion of a rectangular gatehouse.
A machicolation protecting the keep
The tower is about five storeys high and the top was rebuilt in the 19th century.
The reconstructed top of the keep
The walls are up to 6m thick and above the doorway is a wall bartizan.
View through the gate-house
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer