Map Reference: S135892 (2135, 1892)
This castle was reputedly built by King John in 1213 but was probably not erected until the middle of the 13th century. It is surrounded by a strong wall with one rectangular and two D-shaped towers.
At one corner is a tall rectangular tower with a vault and a fine fireplace at the second floor. There are many mural passages and stairways.
The upper portions of this tower may date from the 16th century. The top of the curtain wall may be reached from the first floor of the tower and on the outer wall there are holes indicating the former presence of a drawbridge.
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer