Map Reference:R980373 (1980, 1373)
Thomastown Castle was built in the 17th century by George Matthew, half brother of the 1st duke of Ormond. New wings and four new towers were added by Richard Morrisson in the 19th century. This house was the childhood home of Father Theobald Matthew. The families fortunes declined in the 19th century and the house soon fell into ruin.
Most of the 17th century work has collapsed but the 19th century work still survives.
Thomastown Castle is built on an incline so the northern entrance is one level below the southern entrance. The northern entrance consists of three fine arches. To the left of this is a courtyard surrounded by mainly collapsed rooms. In the corner of the courtyard is a room which leads to one of the four fine towers. This tower is the only accessible tower. A tight squeeze through a passage and a short climb up a wall leads to the entrance of the tower. Inside there are two small circular chambers. The first was for the now missing spiral staircase. The second chamber contained a window which
overlooked the surrounding area. There is another room above this. However it cannot be reached.
In front of the northern entrance is the now collapsed 17th century workings. These consist mainly of rubble but there are also some basement rooms and an intact wine cellar.
Beyond this is the southern entrance which is up an incline. Further south of this there is one more wing which contains two large towers, access to which is blocked.
Further south again there is a small two-storey gatehouse with a three- storey tower. The gatehouse consists of the main arch, a small guardroom to the right and the tower to the left.
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer