The Bridge Castle, Thurles
Map reference: S128586 (2128, 1586)
This castle may have been built as early as 1453. The Civil Survey of the 1650s lists James, Earl of Ormond and Lady Elizabeth Viscountess Dowager of Thurles, as proprietors. It is a small three storey tower with a vault over the first floor. The original doorway may have been in the west wall and a spiral stairway rises in the NW corner giving access to all the upper floors. A small fragment of the east gate of the town wall is still attached to the north wall of the castle. The small pointed doorway in the north wall may have been constructed to give access to the east gate from the tower.
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer