Map Reference: H755626 (2755, 3626)
There are substantial remains of this large house, built by Sir Toby Caulfield between 1611 and 1619 on the site of an earlier O'Donnelly castle. A joist from one of the walls was dendro-dated to about 1282 and may belong to this earlier fort.
The oldest part of the existing building is the gatehouse which has Tudor-style doorways, murder-holes and gun-loops. The Caulfield arms appear over the entrance. The main house was originally half H in plan but the NW wing is now missing.
The building is three storeys high with attics, with many large mullioned windows and tall chimney stacks. The castle was burned in the rebellion of 1641 but was repaired and reoccupied by the Caulfields until the 1660s.
St Oliver Plunkett is known to have held a service at the castle in 1670 and John Wesley preached there in 1767.
Return to County Tyrone List
Return to Gazetteer