Map Reference: H901687 (2901, 3687)
Mountjoy Castle stands in Magheralamfield townland on a hill overlooking Lough Neagh. It was built by Lord Mountjoy in 1602 and partly burned in 1643. It is a two storey brick building and the lower storey is stone-faced on the outside.
It consists of a central rectangular block with four spear-shaped angle towers with gun loops. The north west tower is partly demolished and the west curtain wall destroyed. The entrance was on the south side of the east curtain wall. On the first floor there are some wide windows.
Exterior showing doorway and musket-loops
Exterior of musket-loop
Interior showing the inner splay of the musket-loops
Interior showing newly rebuilt doorways
Return to County Tyrone List
Return to Gazetteer