Map Reference: H402858 (2402, 3858)
Newtownstewart Castle stands at the foot of the main street. It is a large Plantation house built by Sir Robert Newcomen. It was a three-storey house with crow-stepped gables and it was demolished by order of James II in 1689. Only the south gable remains to full height but there are many other portions of walls. These include a half-round stair in the west wall.
During recent excavation and conservation a Bronze Age burial cist was discovered. This contained two large decorated urns with cremations. The urns have been removed and the closed cist is now placed beside the castle.
Round turret containing the spiral stairway
Details of chimney and crow-steps
Roof drian holes
Return to County Tyrone List
Return to Gazetteer