Map Reference: X107968 (2107, 0968)
A Hindu-Gothic gate lodge dating from around 1830 is the only one of its kind in the country. Originally built of wood or papier mache to greet the owner of Dromana Estate, Henry Villiers-Stuart and his wife, Theresia Pauline Ott of Vienna, on returning from their honeymoon in 1826. The couple were so enchanted with it that they had it reconstructed (1849) in more durable materials. It was here that Katherine, wife of the 16th Earl of Desmond, is reputed to have lived to the great age of 160 years and to have died as a result of a fall from a Cherry tree.
This symmetrical building has a two storey entrance block with a pointed-arch carriageway surmounted by an ogee dome. It is flanked by a pair of two-bay single-storey flat-roofed lodges.
It may have been designed by Martin Day but is reputed to have been inspired by John Nash’s Royal Pavilion, Brighton.
Waterford County Council opened a new bridge across the Finisk River through the gateway in 1971.
Return to County Waterford List
Return to Gazetteer