Reginald's Tower, Waterford
Map Reference: S612124 (2612, 1124)
This tower is one of several which remain from the medieval defences of Waterford. It was supposedly built by Reginald the Dane in 1003. By the time of its capture in 1170 by Richard de Clare (Strongbow) and Dermott MacMurrough Waterford was already a walled town. However Reginald’s Tower is unlikely to have been part of these earlier defences. Its design suggests a 13th century date. A mint was established here in 1453. During the 19th century the tower was used as a prison and in the latter part of the 20th century it housed a museum.
Return to County Waterford List
Return to Gazetteer