St Feichin's Church, Fore
Map Reference: N509703 (2509, 2703)
A monastery was founded at Fore about 630 by St Feichin who died in 664. At one time it had 300 monks.
It was burned in 771, 830 and 870, and several times throughout the 11th and 12th century. Only a small church survives from this monastery.
It was originally a simple rectangular building with antae and a Greek cross in relief over the flat-headed doorway. A chancel was added about 1200. The two east windows were inserted in the 15th century.
Inside there is a font and the remains of an altar.
Return to County Westmeath List
Return to Gazetteer