There are references to this historic town from 1233 and it was deserted by the 17th century. It probably covered about 8 hectares. Several monuments remain including two churches, a friary and two tower-houses. Close inspection of the site is not possible but good views can be obtained of some of the surviving buildings from across the Owenduff river.
This tower-house is known as the "Black Castle" and may have been built by the Fitzhenrys. The pointed doorway near the south end of the west wall is protected by a machicolation and a murder-hole. Mural stairways rise within the south and east walls. The building contains mant of the features associated with tower-houses. These include window-seats, fireplaces and garderobes. The crenellations have not survived.
In 1317 the Kavanaghs may have been given licence to grant lands to the Friars Hermits of St Augustine at Clonmines. Nicholas FitzNicholas was given royal assent in 1386 to increase the lands. The friary was suppressed in 1540 and granted to Laurence Newell. The remains consist of a nave and chancel church with a south aisle. The aisle has a three-arch arcade.
These two other structures are visible from across the river but it is not possible to identify them definitely. The larger structure with the tower may be the fortified parish church of Clonmines.
Return to County Wexford List
Return to Gazetteer