Map Reference: S973398 (2973, 1398)
The original castle in Enniscorthy may have been founded by a Prendergast, or a Richford, in the 1230s. It was leased by the poet Edmund Spenser for a short while in 1581. The present structure is either a complete replacement, or a substantial repair, by Sir Henry Wallop in 1586. The castle was attacked and captured by Cromwell in 1649. In 1798 the town was occupied by insurgents and the castle was used as a prison. It now houses the local museum. It is a four-storey rectangular tower with drum towers at the angles, except at the SE where there is a turret.
Return to County Wexford List
Return to Gazetteer