Map Reference: T023498 (3023, 1498)
A monastery was founded by the King of Leinster for St Maedhog in the 6th century. It was plundered by the Vikings in 930. In 1152 Dermot MacMurrough founded an abbey. It was burned down two years later but rebuilt in 1160 and handed over to the Augustinians.
Portions of this church still survive. These include part of the north wall and the west tower which is square at the bottom and round at the top.
Fragments of an early building are incorporated into the present Church of Ireland building. Within the church grounds there are several fragments of High Crosses.
Return to County Wexford List
Return to Gazetteer