Kilmannan Church, Glebe
Map Reference: S971153 (2971, 1153)
Only the tower of the fortified church of Kilmannan remains. The entrance was from the east side within the church and it is now blocked. However it is known that it was protected by a murder-hole. The tower is three storeys high and was vaulted over the ground floor. The upper levels were reached by mural stairways within the east and north walls. A gap in the east wall, at first floor level, makes it possible to see some of the interior of the higher levels. However no worked stone appears to be present and much of the mortar is missing. An outer cloak of ivy covers much of the detail of the higher exterior.
Return to County Wexford List
Return to Gazetteer