Gorey Market house
Map Reference: T154596 (3154, 1596)
This five-bay two-storey market house was built in 1709. It has a three-bay two-storey pedimented breakfront whch is capped by an octagonal cupola. This is a modern replacement. The building was used as a prison in 1798 and as a courthouse and a parochial school during the 19th century. It has been extensively renovated and, although the ground floor is currently disused, the rest of the building functions as a town hall. The upper level is of red brick while the ground floor, which would originally have had an open arcade, is rusticated granite ashlar.
Return to County Wexford List
Return to Gazetteer