Hook Church, Churchtown
Map Reference: X735985 (2735, 0985)
The parish church of Hook was dedicated to St Dubhan, a Welsh saint who settled here in the 5th century. The Hook Peninsula was called Rinn Dubhan after the saint. In references dated 1245 the chaplains of St Saviour of Rindeaun were urged to maintain the lighthouse. The nave measures about 14m by 6m and the later chancel about 8m by 5m. There was a double bellcote over the west gable but only fragments of it now remain. The site of the chancel arch is now a ragged gap but there are some traces of a window over it. There are opposing north and south doorways. The chancel has a good three-light ogee-headed window with glazing grooves in the east wall. To the left of this is a small aumbry with an ogee head and to the right, within the north wall is another with a pointed head.
Return to County Wexford List
Return to Gazetteer