Wexford County Gaol
Map Reference: T044222 (3044, 1222)
The most striking element of the Old County Gaol is the Gothic Revival Gatehouse built in 1846. It has a three-storey central bay with a segmental-headed carriageway at the ground floor. This is flanked by single-bay two-storey recessed sections which are, in turn, flanked by single-bay two-storey advanced sections. It is built of random squared rubble red sandstone and capped by a cut-granite battlemented parapet. The gatehouse is flanked by sections of a red sandstone wall. Behind the gatehouse is a five-bay three-storey over basement gaol, established in 1812, and built by Mr Hogan. Behind this is a nine-bay three-storey prison block of the same date. It possibly incorporates part of the fabric of a pe-1798 prison block. The smaller block was extended when the new gatehouse was built. From 1903 it was used as St Brigid's Home for Inebriates, run by Sisters of St John of God. A faint inscription over the archway is a reminder of this. It was burned in 1922 but later renovated and remodelled to accommodate a courthouse. It is now in use as Wexford County Hall.
Return to County Wexford List
Return to Gazetteer