Wexford Market House
Map Reference: T047219 (3047, 1219)
This detached five-bay two-storey market house was built in 1775 with a series of five round-headed openings at ground floor originally forming an open arcade. There is a two-bay two-storey return at the west. It was used as a ballroom after 1849 and by 1900 the open arcade was filled in. The rusticated cut-granite surrounds to the grund floor windows belong to this period. It was in use as a town hall from the early 1900s to the 1940s. It became an arts centre in 1974. The ceiling of the lower room is supported by three cut-granite columns.
It is now the Wexford Arts Centre
Return to County Wexford List
Return to Gazetteer