St Selskar's Priory, Wexford
Map Reference: T046222 (3046, 1222)
The Priory of SS Peter and Paul of Selsker by Wexford was founded by the Roche family for the Canons Regular of St Augustine, probably in the early 13th century. It was certainly in existence by 1240 when John St John, bishop of Ferns, held a synod there. The name is probably acorrupyion of 'Sepulchre'. It is a double-naved church with an arcade of four pointed arches separating the naves. There are fragments of the west windows, with glazing grooves and the fragmentary south wall is known to have four windows with square hood-moulds. Although the priory is a 13th century foundation most of the remains are probably of 15th century date. In the 14th century a fortified tower was built at the east end of the south nave. It is three storeys high with a lofted vault over the ground floor. A spiral stairway in the SW corner is capped by a small look-out turret and gives access to the crenellated roof. The ruined church at the east side of the tower was built in the 19th century.
Return to County Wexford List
Return to Gazetteer