Wexford Town Market
Map Reference: T049220 (3049, 1220)
This market place was built in the 1870s and originally seems to have consisted of a pair of twelve-bay single-storey ranges flanking a long courtyard. On the inner faces each range had twelve openings forming open arcades. On the outer faces each range had a blind arcade of 24 arches. In the south range the arcade seems to have been filled in while the north arcade now consists of a series of cast-iron pillars on granite plinths. Each end of the courtyard is closed by gateway with granite gateposts flanked by wrought iron railings. The gateway at the east end is approached by a set of six steps. A large round-headed window almost filled the gable end of each range.
Return to County Wexford List
Return to Gazetteer