Map Reference: S932694 (2932, 1694)
The twelfth-century rectangular church at Aghowle Lower is the only surviving remnant of a monastery which may have been founded in the 6th century. The very fine west doorway is lintelled on the outside and arched inside. It has Romanesque moulding on the outside and a draw-bar socket.
There are two small round-headed windows in the east gable with flanking columns supported on animal-head corbels. There is also a larger round-headed window near the east end of the north wall.
In the graveyard is St Finden's Cross, an unpierced ring-headed cross with some sunken panels on the on the sides of the shaft and on the underside of the ring and arms.
Return to County Wicklow List
Return to Gazetteer