Map Reference: T014630 (3014, 1630)
This was a substantial late-16th century tower-house which was incorporated into an 18th-century Georgian Gothic house. The original castle was a four-story tower which now forms the main part of the present three storeys over basement building. It had a large adjoining angle-tower with a turret. The present entrance, which is the original entrance to the tower-house, is in the angle formed by the tower-house and the angle-tower. There is another turret on the tower-house at the NW corner. To the north of the entrance is a machicolation at second-floor level. The roof structure is hidden behind a castellated parapet and the castle sits behind a tall castellated wall. The castle was abandoned in the late 17th and early 18th century but was re-roofed by 4th Earl Fitzwiilliam in the early 19th century. It was used as a rectory later in the century and after WWII it became a private home.
Return to County Wicklow List
Return to Gazetteer